Saturday, October 27, 2012

Roadschooling Rocks

We are using a prepared curriculum in our roadschooling endeavor (K12). However, we have learned to use other resources we would've never used while attending a brick and mortar school.

During science class, we take off walking around the lake or by the river. During the Rock Lab, go outside and look down. During the erosion chapter, go outside anywhere.

It's fantastic that anything you can think of to correspond to each class, you can do it! It's just you and your children, so you decide what's the best way to teach them.

About two months ago, Hunter was getting really frustrated during school. We were at the pavilion next to the lake, which is calming enough... I thought. But everything I was saying to calm him down just wasn't working. So I made him run around the pavilion in his shorts acting like a chicken. He got to laughing so hard he couldn't be upset anymore!

Not saying that would work for everyone, but it did work for us that day. The point is, this isn't normal school. Do whatever you need to do to make it work, and you'll be rewarded!

I wouldn't be on this wondrous adventure with my child if we hadn't rediscovered how much we love camping. What a life altering 10 day trip! Thank God for my Jayco 31 by 8!

1 comment:

  1. So very true! That is why I love Roadschooling. We get to do what we want, how we want, and where we want. The world is our classroom!
    ~> We also use a pre-paid online program too called Time4Learning, but we also use other stuff with it. I'll admit I am a sucker for a Fun Unit Study and yep! I allow my kids to sit in front of the TV for hours watching educational shows and I have been known to use cooking as a way to teach math, but ya'know we have a good time learning and that is what is important IMO :)
    Thanks for sharing, loved reading your post.

    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete

Are you a happy camper? Tell us about it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you enjoyed this post, please take 5 seconds to share it! Thanks!